Saturday 19 December 2015

Bar Ends.



Bar Ends.

The bar ends on the handlebars are supposed to be there to help with vibration felt through the bars / to help dissipate it. As well as tidying up the look of the ends.

There were a few scratches on the underside of one bar end from the previous owner, plus I saw some universal 7/8" bar ends for sale on eBay. I assumed my handle bars were 7/8", I didn't get my vernier out to bother checking. That's what made it a good little hop up, they were only a couple of £s. It's so simple anyone can do it. And if you really aren't sure after this there's bound sure to be a You Tube video or two on the web on the subject of fitting to follow.

There were a few different universal bar ends to choose from, mainly CNC style aluminum. I used to work for a company that produces CNC / turned components at one point in the past so I know what kind of thing to expect. There were also different colours to choose from with some anodising of the aluminum. I chose to keep with my obvious theme of black & gold.



The bar ends operate by pinching a rubber bung that fits over the main long screw, when it's squashed it expands inside the tube of the handlebar locking it in place. You have to screw the nut on the end quite firmly but not too hard, remember it expands and you need to get it in but, if it's too lose it won't tighten. When it's in place you can tighten it by tuning the screw from the front of the bar end.



After removing the old bar ends I decided to remove the new rubber bungs and reuse the old ones off the old bar ends. They are longer and a touch thicker. I know the new ones may well of still worked because they still need to expand but I knew these bungs work as they've just come from these particular handle bars and worked previously. I recommend you do the same, there's just more grip area for a solid lock. The nut was embedded in the end of my bung upside down, if yours is the same it will function just the same way and is the same size thread as my new screw so I didn't have to worry there. If not you could reuse your old bar end screw I've no doubt. The new screw was an Allen type, whereas the old one was of the Phillips type.



When removing the old bar ends loosen the screw which will stop / reverse the expansion of the bung and you should be able to pull and wiggle it out. Don't undo the nut completely or you will pull the bar end and screw out leaving the bung stuck inside!


 Once the bung is screwed on just right, insert the complete bar end into the handle bar. And wiggle it back in place. You could use a rubber mallet or the rubber coated handle end of an ratchet to tap it back into place. Remember a metal hammer will scratch & damage the bar end! If you want to use a lubricant to help it back in don't use WD40 on the bung because it destroys rubber! Instead try washing up liquid.


After the bar end is in place just tighten the screw to lock the rubber bung in place. And you've finished. 




The old bar ends were heavier than these newer aluminum ones. What effect that will have on the vibration issue or whether it will is unknown at this point in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment