Sunday 13 December 2015

New Battery / Alarm Immobilizer .



New Battery.

Anyone looking for a new battery for the bike should know that it takes a 'YT-X7A - BS' 12v size battery. Any battery with that code / no will fit.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a new battery as my original OEM one had finally become shatted. Of course I suspected the charging system might also be at fault like any vehicle (this bike uses a magneto / stator not an alternator system) but, after charging the original battery, using it for a week & it going tits up again and resorting to having to use the kick-start then using the new battery and it charging it fine and every thing is still ok, my hunch was correct.

Tayna Batteries is one such place that sells batteries online for a fair price:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/search/ytx7a

I would say the 'Powerline' battery is the best value on that particular list as it is only £9.99 & has the joint highest capacity at 7 Ah, it also has the second highest CCA at 130A. This means in laymens terms it performs better at cold temperatures (-18*c test temp) than one with a lesser rating. Not that the other one won't work in the cold, just that this one is better rated (cold cranking amperes). 

This is the battery I chose for the bike of course, as I think anyone would've been a fool to pay nearly £30.00 for one with a lesser spec & touching £40.00 for the one with a slightly higher CCA rating, for a 125cc. Not to mention you could of bought 4 of these if you were willing to throw £40.00 on a battery, not that it is entirely a good idea to do so as you could find them selling for £7.99 next year on special and you won't get through all those in a year.




I'll be honest though, it made me realise the kick-start really was a good addition to leave it on the engine. I did paint mine black with Hammerite simply because the silver stood out against the black paintwork, but it does come in useful from time to time. Otherwise you would have to of rolling (bump) started it with a low battery, which I did out of laziness while about to set off on a slope the once the other week with the bike. Button starts do use a bit of battery power to crank on motorcycles, you can see that by watching the voltage needle when using it. The kick-start none at all. I notice some newer Chinese models now leaving the kick-start off, a lot of European and Japanese bikes have for a while, I actually feel happy with it on. After all, you can't exactly bump something easily while sat at a junction if it stalls with a hooky battery. That won't happen now of course but again at some point in the future it may.


Lextek Alarm / Immobilizer.

These have been around for a while now and I finally bit the bullet and bought one for the bike. Not only do you get the alarm but in a sense you get a spare engine start button as there's a start button on the key fob.  Mainly for the price they're worth it just to bring yearly insurance down next time around, as obviously an alarmed bike means less to pay. However they do seem fairly loud from casing You Tube videos.



The alarm is a universal alarm and comes with a plug loom for just that (to be fitted by someone who knows what they're doing!) to fit to any bike. However, there is a plug that just fits onto Lexmoto bikes, into where a loop plug is temporarily placed, and it's just plug and play. However it's just finding or knowing before hand where exactly on your bike the plug is before taking things apart. I have a hunch that it's at the back under the glove box or in one of the back side fairings somewhere on the XTRS? I couldn't spy it while changing the battery but, there were some wires in the back side fairing I couldn't make out. I may get a better idea when changing the rear light bulb in the area but, I've been commenting You Tube vids of alarmed Skyjets etc in the hope of finding out, so far nothing. Of course I'll blog the install.



No comments:

Post a Comment